Get Your Finances In Order: To-Do List
1. Develop a household budget. Instead of creating a budget of what youíd like to spend, use receipts to create a budget that reflects your actual spending habits over the last several months. This approach will factor in unexpected expenses, such as car repairs, as well as predictable costs such as rent, utility bills, and groceries.
2. Reduce your debt. Lenders generally look for a total debt load of no more than 36 percent of income. This figure includes your mortgage, which typically ranges between 25 and 28 percent of your net household income. So you need to get monthly payments on the rest of your installment debt - car loans, student loans, and revolving balances on credit cards - down to between 8 and 10 percent of your net monthly income.
3. Look for ways to save. You probably know how much you spend on rent and utilities, but little expenses add up, too. Try writing down everything you spend for one month. Youíll probably spot some great ways to save, whether itís cutting out that morning trip to Starbucks or eating dinner at home more often.
4. Increase your income. Nowís the time to ask for a raise! If thatís not an option, you may want to consider taking on a second job to get your income at a level high enough to qualify for the home you want.
5. Save for a down payment. Designate a certain amount of money each month to put away in your savings account. Although itís possible to get a mortgage with only 5 percent down, or even less, you can usually get a better rate if you put down a larger percentage of the total purchase. Aim for a 20 percent down payment.
6. Keep your job. While you donít need to be in the same job forever to qualify for a home loan, having a job for less than two years may mean you have to pay a higher interest rate.
7. Establish a good credit history. Get a credit card and make payments by the due date. Do the same for all your other bills, too. Pay off the entire balance promptly.
courtesy of: realtor.org
SEARCH MY WEBSITE HERE:
(619) 301-8589 Peg Heying email@example.com
Your San Diego Relocation Realtor
AND HIT ENTER!
Relocating from out of state, on a military PCS transfer to San Diego, moving within San Diego neighborhoods, buying or selling real estate? Remember, NO OBLIGATION to you, get FREE information from me always! Give me a call, shoot me an email, send me a text message, send that carrier pigeon asap!
© Copyright 2010-2015. All rights reserved. Equal Housing Opportunity. We do not discriminate against any person based on
race, color, gender, sexual orientation, disability, familial status, national origin or religion.
Mary "PEG" Heying
REALTORģ - CA DRE #01726709
San Diego's Ace Relocation Realtor
265 W. Washington St.
San Diego, CA 92103
(CONTACT ME HERE)